Kauai County Farm Bureau & University Of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture & Human Resources present
21st ANNUAL GARDEN FAIR
Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 9:30am-2:00pm
at Kauai Community College front lawn
- Welcome to the Garden Fair
- Schedule of Garden Talks
- 4-H Kids Area
- Education Opportunities
- Booths List
Event ContactsAmy Chun, Interim Administrative Coordinator
Kauai County Farm Bureau
Russell Messing, Interim County Administrator,
College of Tropical Agriculture & Human Resources (CTAHR)
email@example.com | (808) 274-3471
From Home Gardening To Professional Farming – UH Education OpportunitiesWhether you are looking to start a home garden, troubleshoot an insect problem, or master a new crop, there are educational resources on Kauai to help. Below please find a listing of some of the agricultural and gardening opportunities available through University of Hawaii and Kauai Community College. Visit the educational and non-profit areas of the Garden Fair to find out more information on other resources that can help you improve your garden or farm.
- Contact UH CTAHR Extension Service Agents
- For Credit Courses at Kauai Community College
- Non-Accredited Gardening Courses at Kauai Community College
- Kauai Tropical Fruit Growers' Conference
- Office of Continuing Education & Training (OCET)
Contact UH CTAHR Extension Service Agents The UH College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources has extension agents on Kauai that can consult with farmers & homeowners on a variety of topics. Staff will be on hand at the Garden Fair to answer specific questions and take part in Garden Talks. Their office is located in the state building at 3160 Eiwa Street, Suite 210, Lihue HI 96766.
- Laura Kawamura, Assistant Extension Agent – 4-H/Youth programs and registered dietician
274-3471 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Richard Ebesu, Associate Extension Agent – Garden vegetables & fruits, insect pests
274-3475 or email@example.com
- Matt Stevenson, Associate Extension Agent – Livestock and Range Management
274-3471 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Kathryn Fiedler, Jr. Extension Agent with expertise in plant pathology, Good Agricultural Practices (GAPS), the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), and invasive species
- Joshua Silva, Junior Extension Agent, coordinates and leads the Master Gardener program, and is our soil and plant fertility specialist
- Dr. Russell Messing, County Administrator – Entomologist
274-3471 or email@example.com
At the Kauai Garden Fair, CTAHR will be hosting several mini-workshops throughout the day.
View Garden Talks schedule »
For Credit Courses at Kauai Community College The KCC Plant Biology and Tropical Agriculture program (PBT) offers the following degree and certificate options:
- Associate in Science (AS) in PBT, a 2-years degree (60 credits)
- Certificate of Competence (CO in PBT) (15 credits)
- Certificate of Achievement (CA in PBT) (35 credits)
- Academic Subject Certificate (ASC) (23 credits)
For additional details, please visit https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/plant-biology-and-tropical-agriculture/program-overview
Fall course registration opens April 11 to August 28, for August 22 to December 16 course dates. Courses include Introduction to Horticulture (HORT 200), Orientation to Hawaiian Agrucultural Industry (PBT 100), Integrated Pest Management (PBT 141), General Botany (BOT 101) and Plant Bioscience Intern (PBT 290V).
For more information, contact Dr. Sharad P. Marahatta at (808)-245-8251 or look for course descriptions of available classes for Kauai Community College through the UH System at www.sis.hawaii.edu/uhdad/avail.classes.
Non-Accredited Gardening Courses University of Hawai`i's College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources in cooperation with Kauai Community College, Office of Contiuing Educations and Training (KCC/OCET) is offering the following classes:
*Please call the KCC/OCET office at 245-8318 for more information.
Go Farm Program:
Wednesday, April 20th from 6-8pm is the AgCurious recruitment seminar at OCET room 106c/d
RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-245-8318
AgCurious attendance is where you will find out about and apply for the susequent phases below and attendance is required to enroll:
- AgXposure: Starts May 7th for the four (4) cosecutive Saturdays (8am-1pm, Satudays)
- AgSchool: Starts June 2nd for 14 weeks (Meets Thu 6-8pm and Sat. 8am-1pm)Cost: AgCurious is a free seminar. AgXposure and AgSchool are only $480 for BOTH.
Questions? Contact Eric Hansen
Go Farm Hawai'a @ Kauai Community College
Kauai Tropical Fruit Growers' Conference
26th Annual Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers Conference
“Achieving Critical Mass”
September 30 to October 7, 2016 Kauai Beach Resort
to register go to HTFG.org for more information
Contact: Ken Love (808) 323-2417